Contribute
Register

[Solved] NVIDIA Web Driver iBooks Bug

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going out of my mind trying to fix XCode view hierarchy debugging and Reveal.app before I saw the suggestion to enable integrated graphics, but after enabling them everything is working perfect for me. I am on a Z97 board with a GTX970 driving two 34" 3440x1440 screens via DisplayPort on macOS 10.12.2. I did notice to get integrated graphics working correctly with XCode and Reveal I had to ensure that one of the screens was plugged in to the onboard DisplayPort connector and the other is plugged into the GTX970, and BIOS must have the initial display output set to the integrated graphics.
I did find one workaround, at least for XCode view hierarchy debugging that worked without enabling integrated graphics, but it's a bit of a hack, and doesn't fix the problem with Reveal:

cd /Applications
sudo cp -R Xcode.app Xcode-unsigned.app
sudo codesign --remove-signature Xcode-unsigned.app
Then open the Xcode-unsigned.app and open your project. If you have an existing iOS Simulator open, I'd suggest quitting it before attempting to debug using the unsigned Xcode copy. I don't know if this has any side effects and I only used that when I needed to debug the view hierarchy, but it did work for me before I enabled integrated graphics. I tried removing the codesigning on Reveal but the app crashes on launch when there isn't a valid code signature.

For reference purposes, below are the changes I made to my config.plist to get the integrated graphics working properly with Xcode and Reveal.app. I'm not 100% certain if all of them were required because I tried so many different things before it finally worked. I think the key for my particular setup was plugging one monitor into the onboard DisplayPort connector.

Under /ACPI/DSDT, I added:

<key>Fixes</key>
<dict>

<key>FIX_INTELGFX_100000</key>
<true/>
<key>FixDisplay_0100</key>
<true/>
<key>NewWay_80000000</key>
<true/>
</dict>
The /Graphics dictionary looks like this:
<key>Graphics</key>
<dict>

<key>Inject</key>
<dict>

<key>ATI</key>
<false/>
<key>Intel</key>
<true/>
<key>NVidia</key>
<false/>
</dict>
<key>NvidiaSingle</key>
<false/>
<key>ig-platform-id</key>
<string>0D220003</string>
</dict>
Just in case it matters, my /RtVariables/BooterConfig is set to 0x28, my /RtVariables/CsrActiveConfig is set to 0x67, and I've got my SMBIOS setup as iMac14,2. As it stands right now I have both screens working fully at 3440x1440 with full acceleration and have no issues with Xcode, Reveal, or iBooks. Hope this helps.

View attachment 229320View attachment 229321
Thank you, working perfectly!
Just a question, Can I use unsigned Xcode all the times? or just for testing? (Will app sign issues occured?)

Trying to get iBooks working as I have the dreaded clear windows.

I see that many of you have it fixed my enabling the Motherboard GPU - I see all this lovely code and I'm not sure exactly WHERE to enter this in Clover.

Is there a tutorial I missed on how to do this?

I searched quite a bit (Tony: Love you and the site, but the forum search leaves a bit to be desired :( )

I too am experiencing the issue with iBooks displays being 'invisible' after having upgraded to Sierra 10.12.4 using NVIDIA web driver 378.0.5.05f01 (up to date). Am using a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 motherboard with with an Nvidia GTX-960 OC graphics card. This is connected via DVI to a Samsung 4k monitor. On the BIOS I have turned Integrated Graphics OFF (turning it ON leads to the other bug -- namely Fuzzy Icons on iBooks and Safari, OFF solves that). And Graphics Injection of Intel in Clover is currently set to OFF.

Very much appreciate what the latest status on this. Reading the Thread am not sure whether there is systematic fix or whether just some users have solved it?

Thanks in advance.

I too am experiencing the issue with iBooks displays being 'invisible' after having upgraded to Sierra 10.12.4 using NVIDIA web driver 378.0.5.05f01 (up to date). Am using a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 motherboard with with an Nvidia GTX-960 OC graphics card. This is connected via DVI to a Samsung 4k monitor. On the BIOS I have turned Integrated Graphics OFF (turning it ON leads to the other bug -- namely Fuzzy Icons on iBooks and Safari, OFF solves that). And Graphics Injection of Intel in Clover is currently set to OFF.

Very much appreciate what the latest status on this. Reading the Thread am not sure whether there is systematic fix or whether just some users have solved it?

Thanks in advance.
I just fixed my issue, just like yours,
I just inject Intel VGA and set primary VGA to IGFX in BIOS:

Now iBook, Instrument, Xcode working well, without glitch on icons.
So happy :)
<key>Graphics</key>
<dict>
<key>Inject</key>
<dict>
<key>ATI</key>
<false/>
<key>Intel</key>
<true/>
<key>NVidia</key>
<false/>
</dict>
<key>NvidiaSingle</key>
<false/>
<key>ig-platform-id</key>
<string>0x19120000</string>
</dict>

I'm on the Gigabyte Z170MX-Gaming5 mother board, and @vahids' solution finally fixed this for me, too. The trick was setting the the IGPU to be the primary GPU, and injecting Intel with the correct ig-platform-id.

Thanks!

I'm on the Gigabyte Z170MX-Gaming5 mother board, and @vahids' solution finally fixed this for me, too. The trick was setting the the IGPU to be the primary GPU, and injecting Intel with the correct ig-platform-id.

Thanks!

But doesn't this mean you're using macOS with your iGPU instead of your Nvidia GPU?

But doesn't this mean you're using macOS with your iGPU instead of your Nvidia GPU?

Only for items that need Metal to render. I do assume that Apple & Nvidia will fix this issue in the near future, but for now I can't see any real-world performance issues for the bits of GUI that do render on the iGPU - most of it is still being offloaded to the Nvidia GPU, not the Intel one.

It's not just metal, it's metal and OpenGL. However, it's ONLY for apps that have the library verification option enabled when they are code signed.

Don't assume they will fix it: the fix is to either have Apple sign the Nvidia opengl/metal bundles, or have apple relax their restrictions on what is considered a 'platform binary'. I'm not sure how likely either of those are.

Don't assume they will fix it: the fix is to either have Apple sign the Nvidia opengl/metal bundles, or have apple relax their restrictions on what is considered a 'platform binary'. I'm not sure how likely either of those are.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ it's in Apple's court. Didn't someone have confirmation from Nvidia's development team that they were in contact with Apple about this exact issue? I'm sure I saw a post in the forums here about it.

I just fixed my issue, just like yours,
I just inject Intel VGA and set primary VGA to IGFX in BIOS:

Now iBook, Instrument, Xcode working well, without glitch on icons.
So happy :)

Am afraid to report it doesn't work on mine. I switched the BIOS to 'enable' for integrated graphics. Then on Clover Configurator (the latest one). I ticked ON on the ACPI section 'IntelGFX' to ON and on the GRAPHICS section 'Inject Intel' to ON. With these changes the icons are still okay but the invisible iBooks problem remains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back