Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Centris
  2. Lisa
  3. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
OK, I am going to post this inquiry here as I do not think the issue is specific to which version of MacOS I/anyone is running.
However please move to another section if warranted.

I finished my Opencore migration with new hardware and replacing Clover, and everything is working great with my Mac system drive - however - I cannot boot into Windows… =/ I just get the sad Windows screen with a ‘Windows Stop’ message.

To briefly explain where I am at:
I can boot MacOS with the MacOS drive being the only drive (sata port) enabled in the bios.
I can boot Windows with the Windows drive being the only drive (sata port) enabled in the bios.
(Making no changes in bios between the two.)
— Obviously when booting to the Windows drive (only drive enabled) I do not get the Opencore boot menu because it doesn’t exist on the windows drive.—

Unfortunately with both drives enabled in the bios, and choosing the Windows drive from the OC boot menu, I get about 3sec of the Windows splash screen and then the blue screen Windows sad face with the windows stop message, and windows will try to restart itself.

Both drives show as GUID partitioned (obviously the Mac system drive is) so it shouldn’t be an UEFI/Legacy bios setting problem. Though strangely I cannot seem to disable CSM in the bios - it just re-enables itself as soon as I re-enter the bios. Everthing I could read indicated that being unable to disable CSM might be because a bootable drive in the system is actually MBR, but that isn't the case, nor would CSM enabled affect booting into Windows anyway.

Does anyone have any idea wtf might be going on, or could be wrong?

Thanks in advance.

OK, I am going to post this inquiry here as I do not think the issue is specific to which version of MacOS I/anyone is running.
However please move to another section if warranted.

I finished my Opencore migration with new hardware and replacing Clover, and everything is working great with my Mac system drive - however - I cannot boot into Windows… =/ I just get the sad Windows screen with a ‘Windows Stop’ message.

To briefly explain where I am at:
I can boot MacOS with the MacOS drive being the only drive (sata port) enabled in the bios.
I can boot Windows with the Windows drive being the only drive (sata port) enabled in the bios.
(Making no changes in bios between the two.)
— Obviously when booting to the Windows drive (only drive enabled) I do not get the Opencore boot menu because it doesn’t exist on the windows drive.—

Unfortunately with both drives enabled in the bios, and choosing the Windows drive from the OC boot menu, I get about 3sec of the Windows splash screen and then the blue screen Windows sad face with the windows stop message, and windows will try to restart itself.

Both drives show as GUID partitioned (obviously the Mac system drive is) so it shouldn’t be an UEFI/Legacy bios setting problem. Though strangely I cannot seem to disable CSM in the bios - it just re-enables itself as soon as I re-enter the bios. Everthing I could read indicated that being unable to disable CSM might be because a bootable drive in the system is actually MBR, but that isn't the case, nor would CSM enabled affect booting into Windows anyway.

Does anyone have any idea wtf might be going on, or could be wrong?

Thanks in advance.

I'm going to move this thread to the Multi Boot forum. :thumbup:

As for your problem, I suspect this is because there is no Microsoft folder in your macOS drive's EFI partition. Usually, for OpenCore to start Windows successfully, the Microsoft boot files need to be there. Having said that there are two ways to install Windows 10/11 - Legacy and UEFI.

Maybe check other posts in his new forum, I could be wrong. (Not uncommon!)

:)

I'm going to move this thread to the Multi Boot forum. :thumbup:

As for your problem, I suspect this is because there is no Microsoft folder in your macOS drive's EFI partition. Usually, for OpenCore to start Windows successfully, the Microsoft boot files need to be there. Having said that there are two ways to install Windows 10/11 - Legacy and UEFI.

Maybe check other posts in his new forum, I could be wrong. (Not uncommon!)

:)
Would the Windows files/folder you mentioned have been created during the MacOS install? Because when I did the MacOS install I had the Windows drive disconnected/disabled.. I have two physical/separate drives in this setup.

Would the Windows files/folder you mentioned have been created during the MacOS install? Because I did the OSX install with the Windows drive disconnected..
no, only when you install windows creates the Microsoft folder

no, only when you install windows creates the Microsoft folder
uh.. Windows (during install) would write files to my MacOS drive??
Both OSs were installed independently, with the other drive disconnected/disabled. It never presented any issues with Clover.
So technically both drives already had full/bootable/independent installations on them. All I did was change from Clover to OC (create new config.plist, etc) then drop the OC EFI folder onto the MacOS drive.

Addendum for any potential solutions: I only boot Windows for games, so if any solution involves reinstalling Windows with the MacOS drive present/visible, that would not be an inconvenience or problem at all. **I do not wish to reinstall MacOS, heh**

Hello,

I have a dual boot system MacOS / Windows 11. Each system has its own EFI partition.
The EFI folder of each system is "clean" ( having only "proper" data).

Each system was installed while the other's storage was disconnected. This way there is no "interference" between them.
The config.plist is configured such as "Opencore" is a boot option in BIOS.

Here are the EFI folders on each SSD :

View attachment 572779

View attachment 572780

Cheers.
"The config.plist is configured such as "Opencore" is a boot option in BIOS."
How did you do that? All I have in my bios boot options are the UEFI (drive) and P0/P1 (drive).
What entry is needed in the config.plist for the bios to show "Opencore", and would the bios show two like for each drive?
It would be unclear to me how the bios not offering "Opencore" as a boot selection is the issue, as the OC boot menu identifies the Windows drive, its just that Windows itself will not boot (from OC or bios) if I have the MacOS drive enabled.

"The config.plist is configured such as "Opencore" is a boot option in BIOS."
How did you do that? All I have in my bios boot options are the UEFI (drive) and P0/P1 (drive).
What entry is needed in the config.plist for the bios to show "Opencore", and would the bios show two like for each drive?
I'm not sure whether the bios offers "Opencore" as a boot selection is the issue, as the OC boot menu identifies the Windows drive, its just that Windows itself will not boot (from OC or bios) if I have the MacOS drive enabled.
OpenCore will boot Windows and macOS from one EFI, which I put on my macOS drive. When the OC boot picker loads you should see a macOS drive and a Windows drive, and you select which to load. You won't see an OC option in BIOS just make you boot in UEFI mode which you can choose from BIOS.

Well as I am looking at both drives EFI partitions, I may have had my MacOS drive connected when I did the Windows install, as the Windows drive EFI partition has a folder named 'Apple' on it...
Screen Shot 2023-10-10 at 6.27.13 AM.png

but the MacOS drive has nothing about Windows on it.
Is that a 'thing' with OC?

OpenCore will boot Windows and macOS from one EFI, which I put on my macOS drive. When the OC boot picker loads you should see a macOS drive and a Windows drive, and you select which to load. You won't see an OC option in BIOS just make you boot in UEFI mode which you can choose from BIOS.
That is how everything is setup now - MacOS boots from OC Menu - Windows crashes no matter how I try to boot it as long as both drives are enabled.

Back