Contribute
Register

Musicians on the board

Status
Not open for further replies.
rushko said:
That's great, but I do need some good audio card for quality recording. I was thinkin to buy EMU 0404 USB, it has support for OSX and I red that it's a good card. I never stopped reading bout audio hardware thou I never thought I'll be using MAC someday. :)

@thelostswede

The link you posted opened my eyes, thanx! I thought that MAC's are using ASIO drivers like win audio hardware.

I haven't used a Windows computer for years so ASIO was never an issue for me; I assumed it was a hardware device or dongle that was necessary for Logic to function.

Have you ever had any trouble with ground loops and computer noise? I'm getting some constant noise (not buzzing from pickups though) which I'm guessing is just generated by the computer functioning. I was thinking of trying this product out:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ureformer_Isolation_Transformer.html#features

I think it's a must if you want to get rid of noise w/o using software NR. Anyway, which audio card you're using to record audio?

I just realised I had the same problem with my system, posted about it in another thread. Interestingly it seems to be happening in Windows as well, but I don't normally use my onboard sound there so...
It's not as bad in Windows, but definitely noticeable...
The sound quality is also not as good for the onboard sound as my X-Fi Elite Pro (and no, I don't make music, but it was a freebie ;))
Sure, it's way better than what onboard sound used to be like, but it's till not all that...
I just didn't expect all the extra noise, as I don't remember that being an issue since the days of ISA bus sound cards :?
I don't hear it as much when I use my cheap headset as when I use my in-ears, but it's there and it's noticeable.
My X-Fi card worked in Leopard, but no luck in SL... :cry:

adamsmasher said:
This is the USB audio card I have:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829126101

I'm really curious about some of the USB interfaces like Digidesign's Mbox - anyone ever tried one?
I've got a M-Audio Firewire Solo and I like it. It's on my Macbook Pro as I'm waiting for my firewire card for my hackintosh. I haven't tried the Mbox. I just know when I was doing research about 3-4 years ago, for recording, firewire was the way to go as you wanted low latency. Perhaps technology has gotten a lot better with USB now.

Of course if you aren't recording, then I guess latency is not an issue.

Nice guitars, adamsmasher!

I finally bought my Gibson Les Paul Standard a couple years ago after wanting one ever since I was a kid. I was pretty much a fender and Ibanez guy as they were cheaper for me to buy over the years.

As for my guitar amp, I've ditched my Marshalls, Vox's and everything (except for a surprisingly nice sounding budget Crate tube amp) for an Fractal Audio Axe-FX set-up. Man, that thing is nirvana-in-a-box. I no longer have the urge for amp collecting as I can reproduce all my sounds and more with the device. Wasn't cheap ($2000 for the top of the line model) but it was worth it. I also bought the Atomic FR (full-range) tube amp that was especially designed for it.

Nice thing about the Axe-FX is that I'll just plug it straight into my audio interface (M-Audio firewire solo) to my MacBook Pro for recording. Easy.

http://www.fractalaudio.com/

I read up a lot on fractals, the math involved, and how it's able to reproduce "nature" so that's why while the Axe-FX is digital, it sounds so "analog" and real. I sold most of my pedals too and just got a midi footcontroller to control the Axe-Fx.

My only piece of gear that I covet now is a PRS guitar (or maybe a Carvin carved-top) then I'm set. =) Oh yeah and a Roland electronic drum kit (I started out as a drummer not a guitar player).

I covet far more guitars than I have a right to, but I've come to terms with the fact that I'll never overcome my addiction to guitars.

Ironically enough, I got the Les Paul for the same reason. I'm really interested in the high end Gretsch guitars at the moment because I like the G5129 that I got recently.

I have a Marshall half stack in the closet because it's too large to have out right now... sadness. The Axe-FX seems pretty awesome to me; it seems like a souped up brother to the behringer v-amp pro that I use for recording. I'll have to check out the M-Audio when I have more money to blow.

All I really do is record, so the Axe-FX is mighty interesting (and expensive... ouch!).

Here's something I wrote so I can see how the new Gretsch would sound for recording:

http://www.mediafire.com/?4mnojxlodmt

You can hear the noise I mentioned previously in the beginning and at the end (the music covers it up during the song). The same basic sound is present no matter which guitar I use and which effects/drive I apply before the signal goes to the computer. It's not too bad if I don't apply any effects that increase gain within Logic, but this is very annoying to me :p

Hi,

I want a Hackintosh because of Logic. I used to record in Logic before Apple made it part of their evil empire :evil:

rushko said:
That's great, but I do need some good audio card for quality recording.

The Echo AudioFire interfaces are excellent. :thumbup: But your UD3 doesn't have firewire, so you would have to find a stable firewire PCI card, or check out Echo's PCI solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back