Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would there be any foreseeable issues if I were to use a GTX 960? Trying to save a few $ and this card fits more in line with my budget.

Cheers

Stork, I have another question. Should I bother spending the big dollars on these PCI x4 SSDs that I'm seeing? The throughput is amazing but I don't want to fork out the dough if the hackintosh won't take advantage of the feature. Should I just stick with the ahci SSD?

Edit

Like this one...

http://www.ncix.com/detail/samsung-950-pro-512gb-m-2-30-118219.htm

I use the Samsung 950 512GB NVMe in my Gene build. However, because of the special kext required to support NVMe SSDs since Apple doesn't support the NVMe staandard in any of its products, yet, I chose to use the ACHI version in this build as it works OOB.

But, to your question - an SSD will work fine unless you are working on large data files. I'm running Sierra beta on a Samsung 850 EVO 240GB SSD just fine.

I use the Samsung 950 512GB NVMe in my Gene build. However, because of the special kext required to support NVMe SSDs since Apple doesn't support the NVMe staandard in any of its products, yet, I chose to use the ACHI version in this build as it works OOB.

But, to your question - an SSD will work fine unless you are working on large data files. I'm running Sierra beta on a Samsung 850 EVO 240GB SSD just fine.
Thank for your time Stork. I will stick with AHCI as well as OOB is what I'm looking for in this new build.

I plan on following your guide closely and installing onto my existing 500gb SSD drive running 10.11.6. I'm thinking it should install just fine and as long as I follow your guide I should end up with all my apps still intact and my system updated for the new hardware. I have a working time machine backup in case I run into any issues.

Ok, I pulled the trigger and am picking these parts:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero
I7-6700k
EVGA Gtx 1060
corsair vengeance lpx 16gb 2x8 ddr4 3000mhz cl15 1.35v

Through some aggressive price matching I was able to squeeze the gtx1060 into the order! All the reviews I've read told me it is a far better choice in the long run over the gtx960 I was going to order. Lower temperatures, noise and speed are the key selling points for me.

Along with using my existing case (Factal Design R4) and power supply I'm also using my existing huge dual 140mm heatsink (can't remember the brand) as I can't even hear it and the reviews on the motherboard I've read say the heatsinks from Sandy Bridge processors will fit.

Can't wait to get going on my first upgrade in over 3 years and will finally have a beast of a hackintosh to do 4K video editing.

Nvidia has no web driver for 1000 series (Pascal) for OsX...
Search this site for more info.

While waiting for it you can use your iGPU.

jrii is correct. I, too, am waiting for Nividia to release their drivers that support the GTX 1060. In the meantime, I'm using a GTX 760 as I mentioned in my original post. Although I read a strong rumor in June that Nvidia would release drivers for the 1060 in mid-late August, the money is now on Nvidia releasing the drivers for the GTX 1000 series graphic cards with the release of Sierra in the Fall, much like it did with the Maxwell chipset two years ago (then, current OS was Mavericks with the Maxwell drivers released for the initial release of Yosemite).

So, you can use the HD530 on-board graphics until Nvidia releases the drivers, living with HD530's inability to perform sleep/wake-up correctly. Or, you can do like I did and use an older graphics card that you either have laying around or pick up inexpensively from eBay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back