Contribute
Register

4530s Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's what I was thinking, just the esc & pg dn buttons not lit due to being original

that's why I chose that model ;)

oh wow...

sorry. when I looked up envy I thought you linked to one without. Whoops.

Songokussm said:
For those interested in upgrading your ram i found some interesting benchmarks.
You will need to buy One of the Kingston PNP Modules:
KHX1600C9S3P1K2/8G - 8gb @ 1600mhz
KHX1866C11S3P1K2/4G - 2x2gb @ 1866mhz
KHX1600C9S3P1K2/4G - 2x2gb @ 1600mhz

They are the only ones that work at their rated speeds, no matter the laptop.

But before you do this $100 usd upgrade lets look at some benchmarks.

The benchmarks speak for themselves. Dont upgrade. Its a marketing ploy. /sigh

Great write up.. :thumbup:

However the above are tests are for Desktop Computers using an GTX580 as your main graphic card. Our 4530s (and other SB) use Intel HD without dedicated memory and it is proven many times before that higher clock memories boost the graphics performance. You can check the results here. Laptops and notebooks are two completely different worlds.

Keep that in mind. And be careful when you present something as the truth...

EDIT: There is also a 1866 2x4GB kit P/N KHX1866C11S3P1K2/8G

blueking said:
oh wow...

sorry. when I looked up envy I thought you linked to one without. Whoops.

There is a hp envy 14" 15" & 17" the 14" has no numberpad but is backlit, the 15" I didn't see a listing for backlit keyboard (maybe it does exist) but the 17" does. looking at the 17" laptop there's a good inch of frame either side of the keyboard which made me think they're probably the same size. (would need to be confirmed)

There is the possibility of finding 1 of the beats audio laptops with a similar size keyboard as a donor but when I looked at the listing it said the backlighting was RED.... maybe that would be perfect for someone who wants to pimp their laptop but I didn't look into it further as most people interested in this mod probably just want the standard white backlight.

I have no intentions of doing the mod as I have no use for the backlit board really but thought it seemed an interesting project and stuck in my 2 pence worth as I'd like to see the outcome.

Actually a little googling has just made me think that it may not be quite that simple.
The backlit feature on other hp models has an on off feature by pressing fn + Space.
I think maybe that because of this it may not be so simple as if it's not intended to have it then it won't work / the wiring may need to be hacked and connected to the battery / DSDT may be required to tell the computer it exists and how to switch it on or off :?:

Dewitts said:
Actually a little googling has just made me think that it may not be quite that simple.
The backlit feature on other hp models has an on off feature by pressing fn + Space.
I think maybe that because of this it may not be so simple as if it's not intended to have it then it won't work / the wiring may need to be hacked and connected to the battery / DSDT may be required to tell the computer it exists and how to switch it on or off :?:

It's an interesting thought.

We have a bunch of Dell Latitude E6320 and E6220 units here and the backlit keyboards are interchangeable with the non-backlit. In the BIOS/OS/hardware ribbon pin-out I see no difference between the two. It must draw power from somewhere though.

The Vostro 3450 has a separate ribbon cable for the LED power for the backlit keyboards.

so maybe there's hope yet :) where do you work? A computer store? you seem to have quite a lot of bits laying about

Dewitts said:
so maybe there's hope yet :) where do you work? A computer store? you seem to have quite a lot of bits laying about

Yeah, that's partially why I tried to get the Vostro and Latitude working with OSX first. I had access to a backlit keyboard for those units. They didn't have near the compatibility or community support that the 4X30s has though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back